Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) was launched by Ministry of Labor and Employment, Government of India in 2008 to provide insurance cover to below poverty line population and informal sector working people living in India.
The main objective of the scheme is to protect these families from shocks related to catastrophic expenditures related to health.
Important Features of Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana:
* This scheme is based on use of smart cards, hence cashless and paperless scheme. For Smart card, the individual has to pay only the registration fee of Rs. 30 .This card helps in accessing empaneled hospitals across the country for in-patient treatment.
* It provides annual hospitalization cover up-to Rs. 30,000 to the family consist of 5 members through the aid of health insurance companies.
* In case if the required hospital is far away from the patient, Transportation Expenses up-to Rs. 1000 is provided.
* There is no age limit for registration. All pre-existing diseases are covered under this from day one.
* 75% of the expenses are borne by Central Government and rest 25% by state Government.