Recently SCOPE International Conference & Exhibition 2013 has awarded Paradip Port as the Major Port of the Year for its excellence in the performance in year 2012-2013. This award was received by the Chairman, Paradip Port Trust (PPT) Mr. S S Sharma.
About Paradip Port(Port of the Year)
* It is one of the Major Port of India that serves Eastern and Central part of Country.
* Paradip Port was founded by Late Biju Patnaik, the then Chief Minister of Odisha.
* Its Vicinity extends from Kolkata to Vishakhapatnam which includes states viz, Odisha, Jharkhand, Chhatisgarh, West Bengal, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh.
List of Major and Minor ports of India
Now here we can get to know that how many ports does India have-
On West Coast
1) Kandla Port (Gujarat)
2) Mumbai – Biggest port, a natural harbour.
3) Jawaharlal Nehru Port- Largest container port
4) Marmagao port (Goa)- A Natural harbour.
5) Kochchi Port ( Kerela)- A Natural harbour, also known as “Queen of Arabian Sea”
On East Coast
1) Kolkata Port( West Bengal)- located on Hugli river
2) Haldia Port ( West Bengal)- specialized in handling bulk cargo like iron, coal etc
3) Paradip Port ( Odisha)- contain deepest harbour , efficient in handling large vessels.
4) Vishakapatnam Port (Andhra Pradesh)- It is a landlocked Harbour
5) Chennai Port – oldest port of east coast, it is an artificial harbour.
6) Tuticorin Port( Tamil Nadu)
Apart from these major ports, around 187 minor ports are also located on both the coasts of India.
Interesting Facts about Ports of India
* Major Ports are governed by Central Government of India, while Minor ports are governed by State Governments.
* In Lieu of both the coasts, only West coast of India contain natural harbour, viz. Mumbai port, Marmagao Port and Kochhi Port.